Sunday, April 19, 2009

Operation Shot and Awe

No trip is complete without a personal assessment of the local health care system.

To celebrate the purchase on my new Tango-inspired dress, my partner-in-shopping and good friend Laura and I feasted on tasty delights at an oudoor cafe in the main plaza. As we were paying the bill, I felt like someone shot me in the foot. It was a Vespa. (Not the popular Italian scooter, but the "non-European" hornet).

How do you know if you´re allergic to a Vespa? You writhe in dibillitating pain as your foot starts to double in size and the redness quickly creeps up your leg.

The pharmacist cursed at the site of my foot, pushing all the other customers aside and selling me the shot solution, which I carried across the street to the clinic for immediate injection. The minute Laura and I entered the clinic, we were instantly seen, my butt was injected, and I felt miraculously better.


(Shot solution:$6, butt injection: $1, not having to spend countless hours in the ER, fill out endless forms, and waste the entire day...priceless).

But I digress.

The primary reason for Argentine travels is not to conduct research for the sequel to Sicko, but to celebrate Scott & Natalia´s wedding.

Natalia´s father owns a 1,500 acre working ranch called Estancia Vista Alegre, complete with 100 horses, 35 workers, and a house that looks like a Spanish Style Four Seasons. For two days we experienced it in all its glory.


Friday night´s festivities started with an hour long horse-show, a traditional Asado, and dancing till 2am.



We were a little nervous the wedding celebration couldn´t measure up, until the wedding happened.

Where is InStyle weddings when you need it? We celebrated in awe: ceremony for 200 guests in the candle-lit courtyard, followed by dinner set in the patio that can only be compared to Sevilla´s Alcazar, two incredible multi-course meals (first at 8pm and second at 2:30 am), flowing liquer, 18 dessert trays, and continuing dancing till 4 am (complete with a personal dance lesson for me!).


The 11 hour wedding extravaganza flew by, and luckily neither the Vespa nor the injured knee held me back.



No comments: