Friday, April 17, 2009

Searching in Salta

When travelling to a socialite destination wedding in a remote province of Argentina, it´s important to...bring a dress. Or you could forget the perfect dress (intended to blow the minds of the Atherton elite) at home and find one there. Naturally, I opted for the latter.


After exploring Salta´s charming shopping district, I have two clear options: dress as an Incan peasant (some flattering choices there) or pose as a contestant on Dancing with the Stars. In other words, cover myself in a traditional poncho garb or glow in glitter. Either way, I´m slightly horrified.


And speaking of horror...after my unproductive shopping excursion, I set out to explore the gem of Salta: Museo de Arquelogia de Alta Montaña, the premier museum of Northern Argentina. The centerpiece of the display is a mummified body of a 15-year old girl, one of three children discovered on a mountain peak in 1999. She is perfectly preserved with her intricately plaited hair, unmarked skin, clothing, and jewelry. It is shocking but you can´t look away. Confused by her facial expression, I couldn´t help but wonder: was it a peaceful passing? a tortured death?


Incans used to offer the lives of high-born children to please (or appease) the gods. After a proper celebration, the children were well-fed and drugged, then brought to the highest mountain peak and left to die. It was considered a priviledge and performed in order to ensure continued fertility of their people and land.


As I relish the delicious tastes of Argentine food and wine from the amazing welcome party last night, I try not to judge and instead focus on feeling immensely grateful to experience Argentina in all its glory...now if only I could just find a dress!







No comments: